Thursday, January 31, 2008

Possible Pediatric Otolaryngological Surgery

It's looking like Elizabeth will be getting surgery.
A couple nights ago we noticed that she was breathing funny while she was sleeping. Breathing funny as in not breathing at all.
Well, not as consistently as we'd like.

Basically, she'd take three breaths then it would sound like she was holding her breath...then she'd snort and snarfle and start breathing again.
Sleep apnea.

Since Elizabeth is neither obese nor an 80 year old man I was perplexed and worried and scared.
So she went to the pediatrician this morning.

We've been through a lot with this doctor, what with Dylan's illness and hospitalization and all that...so he pretty much trusts that I'm not bringing him sniffles and silliness.
Oh no, we bring in secret horrible ear infections and raging RSV and multiple strep throat infections, pink eye, etc etc...the good gooey stuff.

He checked out her tonsils and nearly exclaimed "Yowza!" as he described to his medical student how Elizabeth's tonsils were QUITE enlarged and in fact touching at the midline of her throat. He called them "kissing tonsils" which is quite a cute moniker for something that is essentially suffocating my child.

Anyway, he agreed that she needed an ENT consult and we're scheduling one tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a two month wait to get in, like it is for the dentist up here, and we'll be able to plan a course of action (surgery) and complete that plan before we have baby no. 3.
I'm actually hoping to get it done next month, before her birthday (March 9, update your calendars) to avoid conflict with our party mood.

I'm trying to stay calm about the whole thing, but really the thought of her being anesthetized and hooked up to monitors and IVs and having parts of her cut out of her head...it's quite traumatizing....

My mom, of course, is already planning Elizabeth's post-surgery present...a Snoopy Sno-Cone Maker.
Gotta love her.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

in the end, she will breathe easier so you can breathe easier....

hopefully the wait won't be too long. keep us posted as the medical drama unfolds.

Meredith said...

Poor Elizabeth! :( My Dad has sleep apnea too and uses this weird breathing machine contraption. Better she gets this done now while she is still young and can bounce back quit!

Plus, I used to LOVE the Snoopy Sno Cone machine. That's incentive enough!

Anne Marie said...

This sounds very scary, I can see why you would be worried- what with BREATHING being so important and all. I'm glad you have a great Dr. who sounds like he is taking quick action. All our best to you all, you'll be in our thoughts. Keep us posted, and much love to your mom for thinking of the best gift ever.

Jessica said...

I mean, basically, she's gonna get her tonsils out...but still...
I never had surgery (besides dental surgery) at all until my C-section. I know she's old enough to be tough, but young enough where the memory will fade over time...I certainly don't remember much of anything from when I was four years old (almost).
All the same. Just thinking of her being operated on is very scary to me.
Many hugs and loves to the moms I know who have kids who have undergone major surgery. I can't imagine.

Bern said...

Hugs to Elizabeth! Keep us posted!

She will also have to be on a smoothie diet after the surgery.

Jessica said...

Her ENT consult is set for Tuesday afternoon.

Jason said...

Tonsillectomies are no problem for little kids. They recover in about a week. Adults are a completely different story, however.

Let us know if they are going to cut them out or burn them out. They cauterized mine out.

Anonymous said...

Oh good, you don't have to wait long! This is one of those times where while she'll probably be totally fine and bounce back, you're her mom so even if he wanted to give her just a stitch it'd be awful. But that snoopy sno-cone machine is great!

Andrea said...

I'm sorry to hear Elizabeth has to have surgery. I know how scary it can be to hand your kid over to the surgeons. It's good though that you found it and it's fixable. If there's one thing I've learned from Drew, it's that kids are very resilient. Get Franklin Goes to the Hospital to read to her. I haven't read it, but I heard Fred Rogers' Going to the Hospital is good too. And then get that snoopy sno cone maker and she'll be good to go!

eva said...

My poor little Elizabeth! give her a big hug and kiss from her Auntie Eleeza -- and a few for you too. :)