Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Let's not go to the maul....

Apparently, July is bear season up here in Northeastern Arizona. We had a reported bear attack up here last week
During this attack the bear chased a gal across through a barbed wire fence and onto a roadway where she flagged down a pickup and jumped in the back, the bear still in pursuit...When she tried to get into the cab of the truck, the bear attacked her again. Yikes.
Then last Saturday my husband's uncle saw a bear in the parking lot of the newspaper offices. At the time, it was still light out and our offices are right on the main road. So basically this bear wasn't scared of cars at all. Eventually that bear crossed the heavily trafficked main road, perhaps en route to a mauling?
My husband says if I want to see bears we can just go into the woods just behind our house. "There are tons of bears out there," he said. Yeah, that's OK.
My father-in-law takes walks in those woods almost every night, but he takes a dog and a sidearm.
The only time I have ever even come near a bear was 10 years ago in Kings Canyon when a baby bear was prowling our campsites...and that time I never actually SAW the bear...I think I'm cool with never seeing one here either.

No comments: