Thursday, August 26, 2004

House of Mouse

Ugh.
Maybe I am not entirely suited for country living yet.
This morning, I woke up, made some coffee, went into our living room to watch the news.
My cat Louie was incessantly probing under the baby's blanket laid out on the floor. I went over and lifted the blanket off the ground to see what he was after.
Oh, it's a toy mouse.
Wrong.
It was a real mouse. A dead one. I almost puked right then and there. I covered it back up and shooed the cats away.
I had to call my husband home from work to get the mouse, I couldn't get near it. When he finally got there and removed the blanket, I started shaking and my eyes teared up, full on panic.
This wasn't a big sewer rat or even a regular size mouse. This was like a tiny, inch-long, Stuart Little without the sweater mouse.
Bob wrapped him up in paper towels, enjoyed a hearty laugh at my expense, and disposed of Stuart in the trash can outside.
That was about an hour ago, and I am sure he is still laughing his head off about it.
So yeah, I have a few things to get used to living here off the beaten path. I mean, I've seen deer and elk and antelope up close. I've gone hiking through the woods to hear an elk bugle, which if you haven't heard, click here... http://www.jacooutfitters.com/ scroll down and click where it says Click to hear an Elk Bugle...
There are these crazy huge wild pigs out here called Javelinas (ha-vah-lee-nah), which I guess live around where we do and which Bob expects to see in our yard during the winter.
Uh, I may very well pass out.

1 comment:

pstvnrgy said...

Stuart Little without the sweater. LMAO!