Thursday, October 21, 2004

It's been a while...

I've been mired in the thick of local election coverage which, as anyone who works for a newspaper will tell you, sucks.
For my part, I covered the county superior court judge race and the local school board candidates, 2 out of 5 of which did not respond to my inquiries nor did they submit information to the newspaper. One of those two is a well entrenched local politician who currently serves the community not only on school board but also on city council. Apparently this is perfectly legal.
The other of the two is a backwoods halfwit who not only did not talk to me, but has no campaign signs, no literature, really no discernible campaign at all. The only way I would know of his existence was through the county elections office.
On top of that, it seems I've been designated the office dumping ground, as I keep getting assigned story after story that noone else wants to do. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but I'm stretching myself thin.
I have worked far too much and well above my part-time allotment of 20 hours per week. The bad news is I am exhausted, the good news comes in two weeks. A nice fat paycheck.
Cha-ching!

Also, as part of this dump the crap on Jessica month, I got assigned a feature on the local high school drama club, which means I get to go to play rehearsals for hours and get paid for sitting there watching 16 year olds fumble lines and fuck up blocking.
Wonderful!

1 comment:

eva said...

Ugh. I hate the community crap and I HATEHATEHATE local elections. I'm in the midst of a council election where 11 candidates think there's some conspiracy theory becaues the mayor has endorsed two candidates and is raising money for them. Big fucking deal. But they treat it like Watergate II and think my editors are squashing the story b/c they're trying to keep it quiet. I can't wait for Nov. 3.