Friday, November 23, 2007

And now it's really real....


Wednesday afternoon I took the kids into town for some very last minute Thanksgiving shopping and to go to my prenatal appointment.
First off, we get to the OBs office and it's packed with preggos and kids.
PACKED.
Dylan and Elizabeth quickly assimilated themselves into the tribe of children huddled around the giant tropical fish tank. It was already 4 pm on the day before Thanksgiving. Most of the parents in the waiting room were quite tired. The kids got away with a lot that afternoon.
Dylan, in particular, found a girl who struck his fancy and immediately started to hug her and try to give her kisses. She was not impressed. In fact, she was sort of pissed off at him. He didn't understand.
Then he turned his attention to her older sister (maybe 2.5 years old) who was more than happy to return his affections. Ah, young love.
We got called back into the office WAAAAY before anyone else did. I think they were sort of mad about it, but oh well! There's three docs back there, they were probably seeing one of the other two, but still, I can understand their fury.
So the nurse weighs me (I've only gained TWO pounds through the whole pregnancy, almost 15 weeks now!) and leads my entourage back to the exam room.
Elizabeth had to pee, then I had to pee, then Dylan thought he had to pee, but didn't.
Then the kids tested out the exam equipment. Starting with all the chucks and gowns, moving on to the tiny packets of lubricant. I drew the line at the speculum drawer, which now that I think about it, really should be located at a higher level.
Dylan then started adjusting the exam table, legs down, head up, legs up, head down...etc. etc.
Then they found a great light that they were fascinated with until the nurse returned to check me and my pee. (well, that's what they do! Sorry faint of heart!)
My blood pressure was normal, though, I'm not sure HOW!
Dylan fell in love with the exam nurse and started to hug HER leg! He's really quite shy. :)
While Dylan was wooing the nurse, she was trying to pick up the baby's heartbeat with the monitor thingy <= that's the industry term.
It took a while but eventually we found the baby and it's strong heartbeat!
This was the first time we were able to pick up the sound of the heartbeat. Elizabeth was amazed. I almost cried. Dylan continued to paw through the cabinets unmoved.
Then the other nurse came in and wrote a bunch of stuff in my file and palpated my uterus. Not as pleasant as it may sound. I'm measuring right on for my due date, which has been officially set at May 18, 2008. However, because of my prior C-sections and our hospitals anti-VBAC policy, I'll be getting my third C-section around 10 days before that.

Answers to other baby questions:
*Is it a boy or a girl? We still don't know, but will be finding out! Elizabeth talks to the baby through my belly button and says it is a girl, but she's not sure.
*Have you picked a name? No. But Elizabeth has...Fiona Michelle for a girl, Shrek for a boy. I weep for my grandchildren.
*Are you still puking everyday? No. I never actually puked but rather REALLY REALLY wanted to. That horrible feeling has since subsided.
*How great that you're having a spring/summer baby!? Yes, it is sooo great! This will be our first child not born during the middle of RSV season! Although, Elizabeth was nine weeks old when she got the RSV and that puts her four day hospitalization pretty much right in the middle of May, so there are no guarantees for total wellness!
*Will this be your last baby? Right now, we're pretty decided that yes, this will be our last go around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth showed promise and I was impressed with Fiona Michelle. Shrek, though, just shows it was a fluke. And I am willing to take short odds that this is not the final baby. You may THINK this is the final baby, and you may SAY ADAMANTLY that this is the final baby, but since you've never actually PLANNED your babies, well I'm sorry, but I don't think you two have a good track record. =)

Jessica said...

Heh. I'm planning on getting my tubes tied while I'm already opened up with this one.
At least, that's the plan for now.
I can barely handle the kids I already have! Let alone this new one and any other potential kids!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a bit scary and stalkerish that as I was falling asleep last night, the random thought of "I bet she just gets her tubes tied since she has to get a c-section" popped into my head, isn't it.

Jessica said...

I'm just glad that SOMEONE is thinking of me!!
:)
You must have ESPN!